Thursday, October 6, 2011

Visual perception 1/ Top-down Visual Processing


This is the Porsche 911 GT3RS driving very skillfully and fast through the mountains.  I chose this picture as an example of bottom up and top down visual processing because they’re many great examples to point out.  As soon as I look at the picture my brain begins to find patterns and make ideas happen so that I can further understand what is happening in the picture.  Because I have so much experience with cars I already have background knowledge helping me out in interpreting what is happening here.  I see the Porsche with the unique fin and streamline design and assume that “speed” is what the car is built for.  I see the curvy road all around the car that leads me to believe he is on a long drive through the mountains as there is nothing else around but trees and cliffs.  To confirm all of these assumptions I look at the wheels and see that they’re smoking and spinning, these are all signs of a serious sports car on a windy mountain road doing what it does best.
            When I have started the top down processing my eyes go directly to where the road is going to see what the cars next move will be.  I am interpreting the road and all of the other obstacles around, including rough roads, guardrails and water on the surface of the road.  I also look at the road behind the car to get an idea of where this Porsche has been and to get an idea of how fast the car is moving now and how fast it could have been moving before the turn.

Citation: http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/21533/PorscheGT3_oppo_wide.jpg
            

No comments:

Post a Comment